Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Baby Bird Diary's First Entry!

Hello, and welcome to the Baby Bird Diary. Here I will attempt to document the weekly happenings of the young waterfowl at two duckponds I like to visit.

I began this project after weeks of vague consideration, inspired by some photos I took of the three groups of baby birds I watched grow up over a period of six-eight weeks. These were the now-named Midlings, three moorhen chicks inhabiting the large, main pond occupied by most of the waterfowl; the two wood ducklings, young of wood ducks Tabitha and Pompadour who grazed around the same pond; and the Snuggleducks, two Pacific black ducklings trapped by high walls and a lowered water level in their own smaller pond but growing just fine.

In fact, concern about the Snuggleducks’ survival initially prompted my boyfriend Mantichora and me to check up on them (the pond provided them with plenty of food, sun and shade and protection). Then the relaxing time the park held for us, where we could enjoy the fresh air and relax on the grass while watching the wildlife, plus the charm of the baby birds, drew us back. Okay, mostly me. And mostly because of the baby birds.

The photos I took that day were a reminder of how quickly the baby birds grow, since they never looked the same the next week. By the time I got back to the pond having remembered to get new batteries for the camera, then new batteries that worked, then remembered to bring said camera, the Snuggleducks, Midlings and wood ducklings were nearly grown. I realised I should have started such a project when I could document their growth (and survival) from the earliest stages, and decided to wait until the next breeding season, assuming I was still interested by then.

That was about when Mantichora pointed out something to me in the main pond. Or rather, four little things. Tiny baby moorhens! Since we had last visited only two days before, we knew these birds were newly hatched. We named them the Cutiechicks, and since there were now two sets of moorhen chicks, we named the older ones the Midlings. It was so fascinating, watching them follow the adults around, cheeping, and they were fed by both the adults and the Midlings! Fluffy little things gave me the perfect opportunity to start this blog I'd been putting off.
And thus the Baby Bird Diary began.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog is the epitome of suck. I mean, I've seen some blogs suck before, but this is the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

o_O I'VE GOT MY EYE ON YOU.

Anonymous said...

i liek LUV BEBI BIRZ!!!1!! ^_^ i espeshulyl luuuurv their kewl lil wingz & impaling dem on kebab stix and BBQing DEM!!!1!!one!! LOLZ OMGWTF!!!

POST MORE PLZZZZZZZZ ^_~

Cloudfish said...

Guys, let's try to stick to the topic here, which is how much Renee smells and is dumb and poos in her pants. And how Aaron has his eye on you.

Anonymous said...

Donna-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee-Wee

Anonymous said...

You have done well with this blog... Planeteer.

Anonymous said...

My balls!

Anonymous said...

Hey, you're not the real Captain Planet! I am, you imposter! Sounds like the real Wheeler, though.

Cloudfish said...

Oh yeah, by the way, I'm going to delete this whole post as soon as I have a real one to put up. Which is why I need that camera cord thing. But until then, RENEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE-WEE

Cloudfish said...

And check out my profile!

Anonymous said...

You're not getting your filthy dead-baby-bird smeared hands on me!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, when will I move out? I am such a spoiled princess who can't fathom taking out the trash or doing the dishes, no wonder nobody can stand me and my housemate is on medication! And I really need a back wax!

Anonymous said...

Hiiiiiii Be Be Be BabyBirdDiary, it's me! "he he" your (friend)

Anonymous said...

NO! No, I won't go out with you!!! Can't you get that through your stupid fucking head??? NO!!!!!!!!What part of that word don't you understand?!! The 'N' or the 'O'?!

Anonymous said...

... so you'll go out with me, yeah?

Cloudfish said...

Okay, I just changed the content of the post. Technically it is the first post, though I really mean it's the first real one.
Still, there's no reason not to continue the discussion about how Renee smells and is a poohead who poos in her pants and is dumb.

Anonymous said...

>_0 I'VE GOT MY EYE ON YOU.